Nevada/Utah Border to Moab, UT

Posted by Super User on Friday, 29 November 2013 in Uncategorized


If you would like to bookmark this URL, you will be able to see my route in finer detail. This link will update when I add more points to the map. Each “balloon” corresponds to a GPS waypoint and a description such as “Turn left on X Rd.”

5/27 – 5/31

After having vehicular support to the Nevada/Utah border provided by my friend Brittani Stanga [who is currently thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail from Maine to Georgia (], I started solo trekking again and experienced some interesting things throughout Utah!


Not 20 minutes after my separation from Brittani, I realized that one of the straps on my backpack was almost completely separated, so I pulled out the ole’ needle and thread and gave a little more character to my pack. This is actually the 3rd spot on my pack that I have had to stitch and it has prompted me to name the monster that rides on my back. I have affectionately referred to it as Frankenstein from this day forward. (You might be thinking, Josh, you know Tom Hanks did something similar to this with a volleyball… and I would respond, “inanimate objects have feelings too, you know…”)



En route to Milford, UT, I came across a Gopher Snake (Pituophuscatenifer) and was able to pick it up and experience its docile behavior firsthand. These snakes are often mistaken for rattlesnakes, but it didn’t fool me!


I also found a deceased Chisel-toothed Kangaroo Rat (Dipodomysmicrops) right before I got to town and snapped a few photos. They are primarily nocturnal, so they are not seen as commonly as some other desert species.


5/31 – 6/5

I arrived in Milford, Utah and connected with Pastor Shane and Mountain View Baptist Church after a quick web search on my way into town!


Shane and his family were very kind to me by helping me run to the next town of Beaver,


allowing me to occupy space at their dining table for days, (yes, this is what I look like when I edit these videos together and the software doesn’t cooperate…)


and for welcoming me into their church body and giving me the opportunity to share about my experiences.

6/6 – 6/9

After several days of technical issues, I finally got the video done for Nevada and spent some time in Beaver, UT uploading the footage. I spent the afternoon at “Love the Art” and added a little flare to my hat…


I headed out of Beaver and found myself on several 4-wheeler trails. After getting sidetracked due to some insufficiencies in my directions, I ended up blazing a path over the top of a mountain and working my way down a stream to connect back in to a known location on my route. I doubt anyone on this planet could follow these directions to a T. I have done fairly well in my opinion, but it is always a challenge.

I came down into Circleville, UT and ate dinner at Butch Cassidy’s Hideout and laid waste to a Country Fried Steak. Before I got into town, I had met a couple who offered to let me shower off, so I called them up and went to their house to get cleaned up! After sharing a few of my videos, I spent the night camped out on their lawn and headed out the next morning.

After a miserable attempt to rouse an enormous amount of dairy cattle to a coup of the local “dairy tyrant”


I pushed over the mountains to a very small “town” called Antimony. The Antimony Mercantile was the only little store in town, but fortunately for me there was a Coke machine glowing like a beacon in the night and I was able to indulge in this carbonated euphoria before going to sleep.


(like a moth to a flame…)

6/10 – 6/11

While hiking along the Great Western Trail and other random connecting trails, I was able to witness a couple cinnamon black bears and snapped a couple poor photos on my phone and got a little video too.


6/12 – 6/13

I arrived to hwy 12 and was met by a local conservationist named Sue who brought me back to her home and gave me respite for a few days to try to catch up on my sleep and electronic burdens!


To my surprise, Sue and Grant live in a giant rock knoll where they have used dynamite to excavate the space and have subsequently “modernized” this rock with indoor plumbing, electricity and wifi. It was a unique experience and I thank them for their hospitality!


If you would like to see an older video when they were first excavating, you can view this “Rockumentary” about caveist culture. They were identified as “The Artist” in the film and I count myself lucky that I was welcomed by the more normal side of cave dwelling culture! Haha. There are some… interesting… people who have chosen to live in rocks.

6/14 – 6/17

I left Boulder, Utah and began to trek through Utah’s canyon country. A very beautiful and unique landscape.Also a very DRY landscape.


I came to an place called Sandy Ranch and summoned a bird from my beard to entertain myself and distract me from all of the biting flies that were destroying my legs.


I proceeded to walk over the Henry Mountains and through Bull Pass at 10,500 feet. This was a cool experience because these mountains are like an island of elevation in a sea of canyons. I was able to look at these few isolated mountains for about 3 days before I arrived at them and nearly 5 days after I left them.


After descending from the mountain, I underestimated my water consumption and began hoping that I would find water before I hit the Colorado River in 2 days. Fortunately for me, I was blessed by “the little stream that could” and managed to get water from a flowing puddle that was forced up by a large rock formation.


I also got to see a very cool, sand colored diamondback rattlesnake!



6/18 – 6/23

Well, I will admit, the LAST thing I expected to eat while on the trail in the middle of nowhere Utah, was Korean Barbeque. Haha, what a great treat! I came walking up to a random rest area (with pavilions) and met a group of 8 South Koreans who had been friends since high school! To my surprise, they break out a big grill, about a 5 pound chunk of meat and prepare a delicious meal for lunch! They were very kind and offered me some of the food.


After my delicious lunch, I kept walking and was met by my mom and Brittani along hwy 95 just before the Colorado River.


Over the course of the next few days, I was able to run 20 – 30 miles a day while Brittani and Mom hauled my backpack and the assorted goodies we had to eat for the week. It was SO nice having help, and especially having it in the section we were in. There was NO water and I would not have been able to do it without them. I got use to not having to use my brain too because they would kindly draw arrows in the road for me and I would blindly follow their lead!


One of the nights, we cooked brats. Well, one of the nights I sacrificed several brats over a dangerously huge fire while chanting and hailing a spear-like instrument above my head… but they were delicious!


At the end of our time together, we went into Monticello, UT and got more food supplies for my next section. We ate at The Peace Tree Juice Café and then swung by Newspaper Rock on the way back into the boonies to drop me off.


6/24 – 6/27

This next photo is of an area where I camped among some large rocks. You can see probably about 500 tumbleweeds that have accumulated and piled up to the right of the photo.


I’ve seen some pretty unique landforms and enjoyed walking through “The Needles” in Canyonlands National Park.


6/28 – 7/2

At last, I arrived in Moab, Utah and was received by some friends in conservation by the names of Kara and Brian. I took a few days in Moab to recuperate from a long consecutive stretch and managed to triumph over my electronic foe and get the recent video up. I also spent a few hours curled up in the fetal position trying to come to terms with the temperature outside and realized that my chances and fears of bursting into flame at any moment during the day were dangerously rational…

I ate at a place called “Milt’s” and felt welcome primarily because of the ironic cartoon that I sat near…


Lastly, after reading multiple threats in my guide resource like “There is no water for the next 90 miles” and “You will surely die,” In an effort to carry more water and preserve my life, I opted to upgrade my gear, appearance, and social status, and am happy to introduce the newest addition to my ridiculous ensemble… You’ve met Frankenstein, so now meet Frankenstein’s Ferrari.


Talk about ending this blog with class…





From the Beginning Video

Posted by Super User on Friday, 29 November 2013 in Uncategorized

I want to start off by thanking my family and Brittani Stanga for all of their help and encouragement and for making sure I didn’t leave Georgia without a few hugs! I miss you all already.

As an overview, I will be posting as often as possible, but am limited by availability of the internet and how frequently I can re-power my devices. Although it is a little more difficult to post a full scale blog, you can keep up with my Twitter feed (at the bottom of this page) or by following me: @theoutdoorjosh

Many thanks to Ricardo Calderon and Johnathan Winter for helping me with lodging and transportation in LA and San Francisco. I also want to thank Brett Carson in Oakland for allowing me to stay at his apartment and use his internet!

On Wednesday 3/20 I slept at Love’s Field in Point Reyes Station. Tyler Love graciously allowed me to sleep in the concession stand at his community baseball field! It was like old times being on the AT (except I had electricity!) I also had a grey fox (Urocyoncinereoargenteus) run about 5 feet in front of me that night. A very cool experience.


I started my trek on Thursday 3/21 from Limantour Beach on Point Reyes National Seashore in California. I ended up spending quite a bit of time just enjoying the beach and filming, so I didn’t get to make as many miles as I had originally hoped for. I also didn’t make it out to the beach until about 12:30 due to having to find a ride from the field. I ended up sharing a campsite with a guy named Sebastian at a place called Glen Camp.

So far, I have had great weather every day of the trip. I am sure that will change at some point, but I am loving it! The scenery is beautiful and I would overwhelm you with all of the photos I am taking, so I am trying to cherry pick the best ones. I am also taking a lot of photos of many of the plant species I am unfamiliar with. Unlike the AT, my knowledge of the flora out here is about half what it was on the east coast. I have been doing pretty well with my wildlife though. I’ve seen a coyote, grey fox, black-tailed deer, northern flicker, and many other familiar wildlife species. I do enjoy how much I have already encountered.

The Douglas Fir trees are awesome! They are so large and smell so good. I have passed a few that had fallen and were cut up and aged a couple of them between 150 and 200 years old.

 I ended up stopping by a small bridge (with a trickle of water flowing under it) to camp on my second night. God definitely was looking out for me because it was already starting to get dark and I still had about 3 miles until I would have reached the next (designated) camping area. Its definitely nerve racking, but it is also a unique experience just to stop wherever you feel like it and say, “I guess I’ll just stop here…”

On Saturday (3/23) I make some pretty good distance, but towards the end of the day, veered off the trail at a strange intersection and needed to regroup. I stopped a man who was jogging and asked him to help me realign myself. After a few minutes of conversation and him finding out what I was doing, he offered to take me over to Sausalito for the night. It was basically the same distance “off the trail” as where I was currently standing, so I figured, why not jump on the other side, find somewhere to sleep there tonight and then get back on the trail in the morning…

That is exactly what I did! The coolest part is that the guy (Shan) ended up hooking me up with a place to stay on a small houseboat in Sausalito! It was a great experience and there were showers at the dock! Woo hoo! (I already smell amazing by the way) Before we settled in to sleep, Shan and I went down to a place called DiVino and had something to drink with some of the locals. There was some great jazz music that night as well and I was soaking it all in!

The following day, I headed out and walked across the Golden Gate Bridge. I got to see Alcatraz and all of the other fun touristy things that you encounter along the bay (small circus acts, steel drums, painters, sculptors etc) This was also the day that I realized that if you spend all day outside every day, you are bound to get a sun burn. OUCH! Oh yeah, total lobster, but I tan easily, so I am recuperating as I type this blog. I will definitely need to find a place to buy a white under armour shirt and possibly even something to cover my legs.

I took the ferry from San Francisco to Oakland and was picked up by a couple and their relative and I ended up going on a joy ride with them to see the sunset over San Francisco and to have a quick drink and watch the last part of a basketball game on the tv. We took a quick driving tour and I got to see some ready reserve ships just hanging out in the event they should be deployed. It was a very cool little side trip. I have learned to embrace these random events as they tend to make fun memories.

I have posted a video to give a little better idea of the terrain and things that I have encountered so far, so please take a moment and watch it. I am also posting additional photos on facebook, if you would like to see more. Thank you for keeping up with my trip and I look forward to posting again as soon as possible!

I will be passing through Clayton, Antioch, Sacramento, Rancho Cordova and Auburn, CA. If you have any friends in those areas, please contact them and tell them to contact me and help!

Please also download the press release from the “Press” tab on my website and send it to your local newspaper and news station to help us get the word out about Envirothon and hopefully raise some money for future competitions!

God bless,


From the Begining Video

Posted by Super User on Friday, 29 November 2013 in Uncategorized

ADT Limantour to Oakland



Los Angeles, California

Posted by Super User on Friday, 29 November 2013 in Uncategorized

After a safe flight, I have spent the last 3 days preparing to run in the LA Marathon on Sunday 3/17. I have reconnected with a friend named Ricardo Calderon and I want to say a special thank you to him for allowing me to stay at his apartment while I am in LA! We have shared some great moments over the last couple of days. We ate some killer all-you-can-eat Korean Barbeque yesterday.

On a more hilarious and dangerous note, while we were returning from the airport on Thursday, Ricardo casually mentioned that he needed to go to the restroom pretty badly… Within about 30 seconds, this casual statement turned into us violently swerving off an exit, nearly ramming into a vehicle at the intersection at the bottom of the hill and ultimately with Ricardo throwing the E-brake and bailing out of the vehicle in the middle of the intersection shouting “YOU HAVE TO TAKE OVER!”

Fortunately, I know how to drive a manual, so I jumped over from the passenger seat and threw it into gear while horns were blaring and I look back to see my friend relieving himself on the sidewalk near the intersection. When you gotta go, you gotta go.

I also briefly met up with my friends in the band Spoken and hung out with them after their show with Volbeat at the House of Blues. If you haven’t listened to their music, you should check it out.

Today I am headed to the LA Marathon Expo to pick up my runner packet and bib for tomorrow! In preparation, I went on a 13 mile run up to the Hollywood sign yesterday and got to see a great view of LA (minus the smog).

I will post again soon, but I need to head up to the Expo before it closes at 5:00. Hopefully I can find a ride to San Francisco!





Posted by Super User on Friday, 29 November 2013 in Uncategorized


I ran 26+ miles this day and saw a black-tailed jackrabbit, kit fox, and a zebra-tailed lizard. I passed by Fort Churchill State Park and saw some old ruins from the mid-1800s.


I met Dean at the end of the day and we prepared to sleep in the back of the truck. It was day 35 and this was the first night that I had a fire on the trip! It was a pleasant experience, but not one I would work for every night.


Dean drove ahead 27 miles and dropped my backpack behind a dirt mound near Sand Mountain State Park and Hwy 50, so I ran all day and made it to my backpack right before dark. Thankfully I made it the whole distance and was able to get to my stuff! That could have been uncomfortable!

(So you all know, I generally construct this blog from journal entries along the way… so it is funny to me to read that on 4/26 I am complaining about my air pad deflating on me… considering that I am STILL complaining about my air pad deflating on me as of day 86 when I am writing this blog haha) (I have purchased a new one and will have it in less than a week thankfully!)


I spent several hours crossing extremely long valleys along Hwy 50 and finally managed upon an antiquated little place called Middlegate. Part gas station, part motel, part bar/restaurant, it encapsulated “old west” to me. Everything from the old crusty dollar bills hanging from the ceiling to the dilapidated front porch all gave the impression that this establishment hadn’t changed much over the last few years… or decades.


I walked in and immediately grabbed a Coke and an ice-cream bar. The cowboy behind the counter didn’t pay me any attention, so what appeared to be a regular patron, jumped behind the counter and said “I’ll take care of you, I saw you walking down the road…” Thank heavens because that soda wouldn’t have made it another minute if I had to wait on him.


This is how I sleep sometimes… I have nightmares where I wake up in a cold sweat and the can is still in the little mesh pocket, but it is CRUSHED. or worse. There’s DIET COKE IN IT.

Turns out, Greg (the cowboy behind the counter) earned a degree in Wildlife Biology from Arizona State University back in the day and happened to know what my alias/trail name Amplexus meant. Always a weird and funny conversation to start into. (For those of you who don’t know, many hikers take on trail names when they do long distance trails. Mine is Amplexus – the Latin word for embrace.) “That’s not weird” you say, well Amplexus, more thoroughly refers to the way male frogs “embrace” female frogs when they mate, thus the funny biologist humor that I have enjoyed since college.


After a couple days of long desert roads, I rolled into a small ghost town called Ione. The wooden sign at the entrance says “the town that refused to die,” but frankly when there are 6 people that currently live there, and no form of commerce… I believe the town has breathed its last. Either way, Ione was interesting. I camped in a small park with a swing set and enjoyed the cold water flowing from the pump spicket.


I met Chuck, who is the caretaker of Ione, and who shared some interesting stories with me. He used to run the “Ore House Saloon” (that was originally built in 1864) and told me that the town use to be run on the large generators that you can see in my recent video. He told me that the man, who basically owns most of the property in Ione, use to own a wolf and a cougar and house them in two small fenced areas behind the house near the park! He told me that somehow they ended up getting into the same cage and that the wolf put that cougar to rest. Craziness!


I left Ione and came to Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park. Berlin was an old mining town (as are many in Nevada) and I learned more about the mining operations from the 1860s-1900s. You can see some of the structures from Berlin in my Nevada video. The “Ichthyosaur” part of the state park was a little more off the beaten path, so I did not venture on the hike to see these fossils, but basically, there were over 250 ichthyosaur fossils found in this region and one of the largest in the world (at 50 feet long). This is what an ichthyosaur looks like…



After a few days of hiking, seeing a northern harrier and her nest



and discovering what I called an “unlucky rabbits foot” (because I immediately got off trail as soon as I found it – and ended up walking about 4 miles round trip off a side trail/stream)


I realized that I was going to have to do 25 miles to get into Carvers, NV. Well, I needed some extra motivation, so I decided I would assure myself that I was going to eat well at the Chinese buffet in Carvers… HA, Chinese buffet. There was ONE gas station in Carvers.

5/3 – 5/4

As I was sitting in the Shoshoni Market (gas station) in Carvers, I ended up spending a good deal of time at a table there trying to make phone calls and catch up on e-mails. I finally decided I needed to try to get to the grocery store in the nearby town of Round Mountain, so I walked outside the store and prepared to ask the friendliest looking person I saw.

Fortunately for me, Erick Merritt started the conversation for me. “You’re making some good distance, aren’t you?” I was a little confused because I didn’t know if he was being sarcastic because I felt like I had been a bum sitting in the Shoshoni Market for about 3 hours that day… “Yeah, I’m trying…” I replied. Then he proceeded to tell me that he had seen me days before when I was near Middlegate! I shared about my trip and he offered to take me to Round Mountain to get some groceries.

He introduced me to Pastor Jack and Carol Miller of Smoky Valley Community Church and I ended up spending a couple nights at their house as I tried to catch up on offloading media for the blog that I am only no being able to write! I attended church for the first time since leaving Georgia, and was able to briefly share with the congregation about my experiences.


It was an absolute blessing to be able to worship with other believers. There were probably 15-20 people in the service that morning, the music was played over a speaker system from a CD, and “Planning Center” may as well have been the dinner table the night before. The simplicity of this opportunity to worship brought me to tears. It was refreshing.


I left Round Mountain and hiked up Mt. Jefferson. This day was my second extremely challenging day on the trip. It seems that when I am about to hike through snow-covered areas, I happen to also have to do it WHILE another snowstorm is blowing through… I literally was navigating from rock cairn to rock cairn and could not see where the trail was. Below you will see a couple photos of what these cairns look like. They are basically unnatural rock piles that indicate that humans have created a marker for navigation.


After uttering the words “What have I done…” and having stomped in place for a couple minutes as I tried to update my phone GPS to determine how close I might be to the summit of Mt. Jefferson, I finally just started repeating “lets go, lets go, lets go” and just kept marching up the mountain knowing that it was equally bad if I were to turn around at this point. With nearly a half pound of ice in my beard, I finally made it off the mountain and praised God for getting me through that uncomfortably cold situation. (If you would like the full experience, go sit in your freezer for 8 hours, pour water on your face, then read this section again).


Today was an interesting day. After dropping my glove half way up the first mountain I climbed (then opting to walk back down and retrieve it out of fear from the icy situation I had been in recently) I discovered a small black-tailed jackrabbit curled up in the middle of the trail! Sadly, this rabbit had died (what I assumed was the night before) because of the cold temperatures. Sympathetic to its demise, I decided I would make a few kooky videos of me doing magic tricks (where I pull a rabbit out of my hat…) I know. Heartfelt.



Having to estimate my location (because I had not have cell service in several days at this point), I finally found a faded sign that faintly read Green Monster Canyon. I headed off the mountain, only to somehow detour on a wildlife game trail and ultimately spend the next 5 hours blazing my own path down the mountain in search for the road that I knew I would cross if I kept bearing east.  I will have to say that I was disappointed in Bear Grylls and Les Stroud because they both failed me… One of the survival techniques they promote is to follow water down until you reach civilization. Well I knew I wouldn’t reach civilization, but I didn’t realize that the stream I was following would eventually DRY UP before I even got half way down the mountain! Blasted desert water conundrum.

After discovering that Fish Lake was more like Fish Watering-Hole (with wildlife and cattle hoof prints encircling the entire perimeter and the fact that there were birds with 2 inch legs that were WADING 50 feet into the center of the “lake,” I opted to pray I would find running water in the next mountain range I would walk through.


I walked away from Fish Lake and managed to find water! (Flowing from a well that you can see in my Nevada video). After losing the “trail” again, I found myself turning into a human bulldozer and plowing a path through the dense mountain mahogany trees in a fit of rage because I was making negative time in my pursuit of Duckwater, NV. I have enjoyed seeing the Elk, pronghorn and wild horses that this area has to offer.



Envirothon! As I walked through a very remote valley that was surrounded by mountains, I saw a truck! No way! Other humans DO exist! Fortunately for me RJ, his wife and small daughter were out on a leisurely drive to scout out property where his father would be running cattle. As it turns out, when I mention that I have partnered with the North American Envirothon, RJ tells me that he used to compete in Envirothon in high school! Awesome! I didn’t expect to meet an alumnus! For anyone who is reading this and does not know what Envirothon is, please take a look and help me pass the word around!

Shortly after departing from RJ and family, I crested a mountain top and discovered a Big Horn Sheep skull! Totally cool find.



This was almost the end for me.

After leaving Moore’s Station the day before, having what I assumed would be enough water to get me to Duckwater, NV, I began probably the toughest day of my life so far.

I was already dehydrated because my water had begun to run out much faster than I had anticipated the day before (mostly because of the heat). I knew I had to get into Duckwater before the small store closed around 4:30, so I got up at 5:00am and packed down my things. At this point, I had been without cell phone reception for 8 days, I had only seen people once, my spoon was broke, my compass was broke and my sunglasses had broken. I set off towards Duckwater with two squirt bottles of water and a backpack that had grown heavier with my acquisition of two mule deer sheds, a partial elk shed, a full elk shed, a wild horse skull, and the big horn sheep skull… HEAVY


After walking about 8 miles that morning, I had depleted one of my bottles of water. This was not good. At this point, my chest was pounding like I had been sprinting since 5:00am as my heart was pumping thicker and thicker blood through my system. My throat was painfully dry because I had basically spent all morning licking my water bottle only enough to wet my mouth, but not enough to wet my throat (much less my stomach).

I could tell I was getting weaker and I was wearing out faster. I had already stopped one time to take my pack off and just try to recuperate some strength. I basically spent 20 minutes licking crystal light off of the face of my watch because it would make my mouth salivate. I couldn’t eat the beef jerky or cheese I had left because it was like chewing chalk due to the dryness of my mouth.

I put my pack on and walked another mile into a canyon in the mountain range that separated me from the Duckwater valley. It was at this point that I realized I needed to make a drastic change in my situation or I was not going to make it. I sat my backpack down on a rock ledge, sat down in a small crevice, then ended up having to lay down on the ground because my body was so exhausted and sore. Fearful that I would pass out and ultimately put myself in an even worse position than I was already in, I decided that I would abandon my backpack and hope that I could figure out a way back to it later.

With no service, and having deviated from my route in order to make a straighter line to Duckwater, I knew that if anything happened to me, no one would not be able to find me. With a mixture of fear, pain and exhaustion, I broke down with the thought that I would meet my end the day after Mother’s Day and 2 days before my 27th birthday.

Anxious and uneasy, I began to climb that last mountain range with a half bottle of water in my right hand and, well, a half bottle of not-water in my left hand. I trudged up the mountain like a zombie, heart pounding like a racehorse, body moving like I had been hit with a tranquilizer dart.

As I crested that mountaintop, all I could repeat was, “I’ll show you what my God can do.”


I saw Duckwater. Geez was it a long ways away. I also saw a shiny silver cylinder and some black dots between the small reservation and me. I deduced that these were cattle and what I was hoping would be a water trough. (You can see the faint road and the green patch that is Duckwater).

I descended from the “pancake” mountain range (which is a little of a misnomer because it was not a pancake, rather the mountains had layers in them where there were 15-20 foot ledges I had to navigate down and basically boulder my way to flatter ground. I finally made it to the bottom and snapped a quick photo back (you can see the layers).



This was about a 10 foot ledge, for perspective.

With literally 5 drops of water left in my right hand, I reached the cattle trough. WATER. I made it. I laid there on the ground near that trough and sipped 5 bottles of water (because it hurt to swallow), then I finally got up and walked down to the town. With the help of a kind woman (who I probably scared to death by knocking on her door and begging for a ride to the store before it closed), I made it to the store and continued to drink liquids and proceeded to get checked out by an EMT.



5/14 – 5/17

I spent the next several days with the Huston family and recovered from my dehydration event. They were kind and bought me Coca-Cola, a steak, ice cream and a cake for my birthday! It was a nice treat.


5/18 – 5/19

You would think that I have a pretty solid system for how I go about doing things while I am hiking. For the most part you are right. But when you strap your camera to a tree to film a little walking scene, then you find a small snake and get distracted… sometimes you walk off and FORGET YOUR GOPRO IS STRAPPED TO A TREE. Dangit. 15 miles later… well, I am going to hope no one takes it (on the random jeep road I was on) and I am going to hope I can get a ride back with someone who has a truck… Thankfully, I was able to do just that! Whew.



Today I made a few new friends. As I was sitting in Ely, Nevada waiting to rendezvous with my friend Brittani, I met a Kiwi (guy from New Zealand) named Andy who was bicycling across America! He offered up the floor of his hotel room, so I joined him because I had no other offer! At the hotel, we met another Kiwi named Rod, who was motorcycling across America! What a strange conglomerate of people! We all went down to Arby’s and had a birthday dinner for Andy and then shared stories from our trips.


5/21 – 5/22

Today I got to see my friend Brittani Stanga! She flew out from Georgia and rented a vehicle to help me be able to run for several days. We ate at a place called the Cell Block Steak House and I enjoyed being able to catch up!




I ran about 18 miles today and ran by some charcoal ovens (the large stone structures that I ran by/out of in the Nevada video). We went back to Ely and met up with my friend Lloyd Langhammer and ate dinner and played pool. It was such a nice break from the typical routine. (As a side note, I met Lloyd while I was thru-hiking the AT in 2011. I was hiking in Vermont at the time. We kept in touch and he decided to make a trip up from Las Vegas to catch up!) It was a fun evening and we MEN completely outplayed the women in pool. Completely. Hands down. Langhammered the nail in their pool coffins. Seehog tied their skills and branded them with a pool cue.

Ok, I took that a little farther than I should have. Forgive me ladies. (The women actually beat us by default because I scratched on the 8 ball in the “win all” match.) WHATEVER.

5/23 – 5/26

I spent the next couple days running and meeting Brittani periodically through the day. I admit that my goofiness began to come out more when I was in the presence of a friend (or perhaps it was company period), and so I filmed the scenes with the watermelon, the Danger Lizard, and my attempt at a promotional jingle for the state of Utah.


Until next time friends… Welcome to UTAHHHHH! 






Reno, Nevada

Posted by Super User on Friday, 29 November 2013 in Uncategorized


Well, it has been a little while since I have updated everyone! I will warn you of the impending novel below these words that you read. Please don’t feel like you have to read everything at once. I have broken things up by date to make it easier to leave off and return.

I met a bicyclist named (Valerie) on 4/1 and she volunteered to help me out for a little while. So on 4/5 she picked me up from Jason and Janelle’s house and we ended up heading to Beal’s Point (on Folsom Lake) to camp for the night. We set up camp and I prepared for a long day of running through Sacramento on 4/6.

Saturday 4/6

Well, THAT didn’t quite go as planned… I got up today and put my phone on charge in the camp restroom about 50 feet away and began packing all of my things up. After periodically checking the restroom to keep honest people honest, I discovered that someone had STOLEN my phone. Really?! Who does that!? I proceeded to walk the entire campground and ask everyone if they had found an iPhone and mistaken it for someone else’s. After having no luck, I managed to get AT&T on the line and found out they wouldn’t help me because I couldn’t verify my mother’s 4-digit social to prove I actually owned the phone… (ironic). Finally, my brain kicked in and I called my great friend Brittani in Georgia and had her track my phone using an app called “Find My Friends.” To be honest it is somewhat of a stalker app, but it has been useful when meeting up with people in random places and for recovering stolen phones…

I tracked the phone to an address in Roseville, California and alerted the Roseville police that they “could either meet me at the house, or they could beat me to the house, because either way, I am getting my phone back.” Needless to say the Roseville PD beat me to the house and handed me my phone when I arrived. They were able to get my charger back as well, but unfortunately my contacts had been erased and my sim card was removed. The phone was otherwise undamaged.

To most people’s surprise, the perpetrator was a 17 year old scene girl who admitted to stealing it in order to try “to replace the broken screen on her phone”… “Wait, wait. You have an iPhone?” I thought in my head. I suppose I would have expected more from criminals who steal devices equipped with GPS capabilities. I digress. Fortunately for everyone following along with my videos you actually get to see her being arrested because I was clever enough to have my GoPro running the whole time. Your welcome.

I spent the rest of the day getting my phone working again and ended up running about 10-12 miles through the middle of Sacramento and ended this ridiculous day with some delicious food from “Tapa the World.” We then proceeded to stealth camp in Discovery Park in the middle of Sacramento.

Sunday 4/7

I ran from Discovery Park to Negro Bar (near Folsom, CA) and completed about 27+ miles along the American River Bikeway. I met back up with Valerie and we ate a delicious meal at McDonald’s. Calories are my friend. After dinner, I ended up finding an Easter egg with gummies in it as I was scouting Negro Bar for a campsite. It was a nice way to end a long, tire-some day.

Monday 4/8

I walked out of Negro Bar and followed the Pioneer Express Trail along Folsom Lake. I ended up meeting a kind gentleman named Andrew who ended up giving me some fresh fruit and snacks from his home (near the trail). It’s these moments that renew my faith in humanity.

Tuesday 4/9

I found a California Alligator Lizard (Elgariamulticarinatamulticarinata) along the trail today and it let me pick it up! Unfortunately I ended up losing some great video footage of this guy because of backup issues with my phone, but it was a cool experience!


I followed along the North Fork of the American River and made my way into Auburn, CA. I walked into town after dark and gravitated toward the light of the 7/11 as if I were some sort of 195-pound moth who exists solely to consume Coca-Cola and Snicker Bars.

I met a man named Rockey at the 7/11 who was simply out getting his girlfriend a 7Up because she was feeling a little ill and, what do you know, this is how friendships begin… I asked him, “Hey man, do you know where the nearest fast food place is?” He replies, “Uh, there are not really any anywhere near here, sorry.” To which I sadly respond… “Dang.”

Whether it was the depression in my response or the curiously tantalizing shorts that drew him in, he offered to take me down to the local pub to try my luck at finding lodging for the night. YES! I sat down at the Auburn Alehouse and had no such luck. Fortunately for me, Rockey came walking down the hill to the pub and told me that I could stay with him! Thank you magical 7/11 genie! You granted my wish. I proceeded to meet Alex and we became great friends over the next few days.


Friday 4/12

I spent a couple days preparing and investigating the upcoming Sierra Mountains (that I was advised to bypass because of snow). I ended up buying some neoprene socks and some snow cleats. With a discount everything still ran me $68.63, but I I am thankful that I invested in these items because they were extremely handy and necessary down the trail. I want to thank Rockey and Alex for their kindness for hauling me around, buying me food and for hosting me at their home.


I was able to spend all of Friday running on the Western States Trail (and a few others) to complete my longest day so far at 32 miles. I saw a Coral-bellied Ring-necked Snake (Diadophispunctatuspulchellus)


and a Pacific Gopher Snake (Pituophiscatenifercatenifer) while I was running today.


Saturday 4/13

I was dropped off at a small coffee shop in Foresthill and took a little time to prepare and figure out my directions and map situation. It was nice to hear the older gentlemen talking and praying around the table that morning. It has been a while since I have heard other people pray (honestly since I left Georgia). 

I saw the St. Joseph’s Catholic Church bell that was created in England in 1859 and that cost miners $3,500.


Hey look, a giant tree…


I read an article at a historical display at Michigan Bluff that recounted a day in 1890. I found it amusing and will share it with you. (Considering the current state of guns and the 2nd Amendment in our political climate, you can see how far we have come). The officer of the peace was informed that (Jeb) was “firing his gun in a careless way” in town. The officer instructed over 5 different deputies to arrest him, but for one reason or another, they all decline (for fear, or otherwise). Finally one deputy apprehended (Jeb) (with the help of another man) and they brought him down to the station. The officer of the peace made note that (Jeb) was “insanely drunk” and proceeded to put him in a cell for the night. The next morning around 10:00 (Jeb) apologized for his behavior and they determined that he had sobered up. Therefore, they allowed him to pay a $10 fine and let him on his way. A day in 1890. How might we recount a day in 2013? What do you think someone in 2136 will think about the way we live today? There’s my nugget of reflection.


Sunday 4/14

I would like to take a brief moment here to explain and express my difficulties in navigating westbound directions on an eastbound hike… It’s CONFUSING at times. (If you were unaware, the American Discovery Trail only provides turn-by-turn directions as if everyone were planning to take the trail westbound. Therefore, the poor individuals who run/hike the opposite direction are forced to endure a more mentally stimulating exercise if they desire to reach the opposing ocean…) Wish me luck! Trip this of end the by backwards blogs my type to tendency a have may I.

I ran into snow for the first time today. I found a nice small cabin near Duncan peak on Forest Road 43 and decided to chance it and stay on the private property. I only saw one set of tracks in the snow and they were not going through the gate (the gate also had a small tree laying across it, so I assumed no one had been in recently). It was a good place to settle down for the night.



Monday 4/15

It snowed on me last night and I had to break down my tent fairly quickly this morning and take shelter under the (convenient) cabin that I was camping near. I set off into the snow and managed to find where the Western States Trail headed off down the mountain. There was no real way to follow the trail because of 4-8 feet of snow, so I set off (with my cleats) around the side of Little Bald Mountain and used my compass and map to navigate forward. I ended up just following snow melt streams down to the canyon below because I knew that was the general direction I needed to head. I was headed to the French Meadows Reservoir and recognized that I was in the correct watershed. (For all of you Envirothoners who are reading this post, this is a practical application to learning watershed delineation and familiarizing yourself with topo maps!)


(there is no trail here by the way…)

I had to scale down some very jagged rocky areas, walk through some very spiny vegetation (similar to the modified branches of some of our pear trees), and had to ford a few streams before I finally reconnected into snowless trail. This is what you look like when you find trail that you have been looking for. Pure excitement.


Tuesday 4/16

I left French Meadows Reservoir (Lewis Campground) and walked up Forest Road 96 past a few other campgrounds. As I crossed into the Granite Chief Wilderness I had to ford another stream. Since my shoes were still dry, I ended up taking them off and crossing barefoot. YIKES! You know the water is cold when you spend 15-20 seconds crossing the stream and your feet are beet red and numb.



I walked through the green Picayune Valley and saw two 400+ pound black bears! (Here they are cinnamon and brown). I felt privileged to see them, but I also felt a little anxious considering I only had a 2 inch blade separating me from 400 pounds of beast. I mean really, what would I have done with all that meat after I had slain a bear that size? … I’ve got jokes.

After my bear sightings, things got even more serious. I started to hit the northern slopes of some of the mountains and had to climb out of the valley. Unfortunately, there was anywhere between 5-10 feet of snow and no trail to be found. I estimated my location and set off on my own trajectory hoping to tie in to a trail on the other side of the mountain.

I can’t express how nerve-racking and challenging it was to make this final ascent. I had 1.5 hours until the sun went down, and what sunlight I had rarely broke through the snow clouds to illuminate my darkening path. I literally scaled the side of a mountain with one of the steepest slopes I have ever encountered so far. I couldn’t walk up the slope at an angle because my cleats couldn’t gain traction. I had to face directly upslope and kick my feet into the snow and ice in order to get my footing. I then had to shuffle to my right and gradually work my way up the slope, all the while digging my trekking poles in for greater stability.


Amidst pouring sweat and ice freezing in my beard, I reached the top and tried to enjoy an incredible view. I have included a photo so you can see what I was looking at.


Despite my desire to remain on that mountain top, I had less than an hour before the sun went down and I discovered that the South slope of the mountain was not green as I had predicted, but was equally snow-clad. For a few moments, I weighed my options for whether I should set up tent on the peak, or whether I should hurry down into the valley. The peak would have given me sunlight earlier and would give me distance from bears, but the valley would protect me from wind. I opted to try my luck down in the valley and hoped that I could make it to the bottom before the darkness came on. I can’t tell you how long it felt like I was debating this issue (while also trying to estimate my location and descend the mountain to hopefully put me in the right vicinity to cross the next river).



I reached the bottom and found Whiskey Creek. I saw a patch of soil under a couple trees and decided to make camp there. (The snow melts much faster under the trees because the sun melts the snow on the trees and the water melts the snow under the trees. It is a strange thing to see 4 feet of snow and then soil next to a tree. I grabbed a stick and started digging in order to make a flatter spot to ensure that I could sleep a little better that night. My make-shift camping pad ended up working out quite nicely considering the slope. To my surprise and relief, I also discovered that my small area of soil also contained remnants of the trail that I had been hoping to locate! I had a different level of peace when I went to sleep than night (knowing I was headed in the right direction).


(you can see the moss covered stick I used to dig this spot) 

Wednesday 4/17

Thankfully I had set up on the west side of an opening and managed to have warm sunlight thawing me out in the morning. I followed the “trail” upstream and discovered some very rustic old cabins at the junction of the Whiskey Creek Trail. I crossed the stream and found the Pacific Crest Trail. It was another reassuring moment when you find identifying markers that correspond with your maps.


I’d like to give a quick shout-out to my friend Jamie Richards (AKA Victus) who was one of the first Northbounders I met on the Appalachian Trail in 2011. Victus will be hiking the PCT this year and I want to wish him luck and thank him for his encouragements as I push forward on the ADT. God Bless you my friend!


I made my way up the five-lake trail and found human footprints! Hooray! I figured if I followed the footsteps I would either find a body or a road and I expected either to sent chills up my spine. Whew. A road! I walked out and connected into THE 89 (Californians refer to their highways as “The” 89 instead of “I-89”, “Highway 89” or “CA 89.” An interesting quirk that I have found fairly uniform across the state. After arriving in Tahoe City, I devoured a medium meat pizza from Front Street Pizza and chuckled at the fact that they were watching “Survivor Man” on the television. 

I was taken home by a kind gentleman named Bill and he and his 3 daughters welcomed me into their home as I told them stories and showed them videos from my trip. Thank you Bill for your kindness and hospitality!


Thursday 4/18

I took a day in Tahoe City to try to organize my ever-growing amount of media and journaling and spent some time at Syd’sBagelry. I went over to the Tahoe Mountain Brewery and ended up having a few beverages bought for me and made a few friends. Jason and Mandy both walked around with me and gave me a place to stay that night.


Earlier in the night, when Jason first came into the bar, he told his bartender friend (Scott), “Hey, do you realize this guy doesn’t have pants on?” I found it humorous later when I asked Jason… “Did you think the guy with no pants would be sleeping on your couch?”… “Hmmm, no. I didn’t expect that. Haha” What fun is there in meeting people in the boring old fashioned way?! Make it memorable! I do want to thank Jason and Mandy’s friend Kelly for supplying me with a larger knife for which to prepare tasty bears should I encounter any more…

Friday 4/19 – Wednesday 4/24

I walked around Lake Tahoe,


crossed over into Nevada and came strolling into Incline Village around dinner time. I had been told to try a place called T’s Rotisserie and that the burritos were large, affordable and delicious. I indulged. As I was leaving, I was stopped by my newest friends Tiffany and Dean from Reno, NV. We chatted over dinner and they decided to help me find a place to stay that night. We followed a lead and went down to the Lone Eagle Grille and didn’t have any luck. After some discussion, they offered to bring me back to their home in Reno.


I took one day off to begin preparing my videos and blog and then set off on a 27 mile run from Lake Tahoe to Virginia City, NV. I ended up tweaking my right knee ever so slightly on an epic 4 mile downhill run (I suppose my quads were just giving out) and it ended up slowing me down a bit. I made my way across the last mountain in the dark (with my headlamp) and descended down to Virginia City where Dean met me around 10:00pm.

I slept in a little the next day, then we rode back over to Virginia City (a very lively ghost town) and I spend a little time walking around. I met a new friend named Stephen who is actually riding a bike across America from San Francisco to New York! It was ironic and great to meet someone on a similar endeavor. We talked for a bit, then I hesitantly headed out for a 24 mile day (leaving after 4:15pm). I only made it about 22 miles when Dean picked me back up around 9:45. I knew it was going to be a late night, but the moonlight was not bad company to run with.

Lastly, I took another day of rest so that I could type this novel of a blog and upload my most recent video. I have broken the blog into sections (by date) so you can leave off and come back when you have more time to read! I am limited with how often I can post for now, so I must cram it all in at one sitting! Thanks for bearing with me and I hope you are enjoying my adventure as much as I am! Tiffany and Dean make a mean breakfast!


Tomorrow I will set off with the intentions of running 2 near 30 mile days as Dean and Tiffany will be helping me get deeper into the Nevada desert. Water will be a critical issue for me in this next stretch, so if anyone has any connections along my route (or anywhere close), please put them in touch with me (via the contact tab at the top of this page).

I want to thank Sports Basement in Walnut Creek, CA for sending this donation to my support back in Georgia! I will be using it before too long!


Please continue to share my videos and stories with your friends and families! Thank you SO much to those of you who have made donations through my website. It has already started to get a little overwhelming with the amount of money I have to spend on food, supplies, maps, gear or other unpredictable expenses. I sincerely appreciate everyone who has sent me an e-mail, given me a phone call, made a donation, or simply been praying for my safety. I am unsure of how often I will be able to do so, but I hope to continue sharing my journey as I cross Nevada over the next few weeks! Bear with me. If you would like quicker updates, please feel free to follow me on Twitter at @theoutdoorjosh or add me on facebook (at the top right of this page).


Yours in Adventure,




Sacramento, California

Posted by Super User on Friday, 29 November 2013 in Uncategorized

Whew! What a week!

I just want to start off by saying thank you to everyone who is keeping up with my trip! Thank you for your help in spreading the word about Envirothon as well.

As an additional note, (and to clarify), since I no longer have a support team, I am having to do this alone. Therefore, I am having to carry about 60 pounds of gear (electronics included) and am only able to run when people are willing to hold my pack for a day (or more) and allow me to get longer distances accomplished. This is officially a RUN/HIKE across America.


I left Brett Carson’s apartment on Tuesday 3/26 and took the bus back to where I got off of the ferry in Oakland. I walked by a Whole Foods and realized that they don’t sell half of the stuff I buy when I am out hiking/running. Fortunately for me, I was able to go to a Quality Market not too far down the road on my route! Ah, a complete resupply.

I decided to eat at a Burger King (and enjoy the finer things in life) before aimlessly walking into the dark into Berkeley California. I was fortunate to meet a couple students from U.C. Berkeley and they gave me some tips on where I should try to crash for the night. I continued walking toward the campus and came to a crosswalk with a young guy standing there. We started to walk together and he asked where I was headed… “Delaware?… Yeah I don’t know where I’m sleeping tonight…”

Hooray for Henry! My new friend from Berkeley High! I was able to sleep on Henry’s couch that night and hung out with his awesome dog. Henry’s mother made me some warm oatmeal and strawberries in the morning and I headed down the road.

So, on Wednesday 3/27 I had a very peculiar encounter with an older man as I was walking down the street. He started our interaction by cutting a U-turn in the middle of the street and then proceeded to tell me that I had a “Sexy John Muir look going on…” I said thanks and mentioned what I was doing, then kept on my way.  Not TWO BLOCKS later, here comes Mr. Creepy BLOCKING AN INTERSECTION explaining to me how John Muir founded the Sierra Club and that “John Muir has actually been to his house.” Seriously everyone. So what is the logical next question?

"So do YOU want to come to my house?" Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh NO. Thanks anyway, I have to keep walking. Besides, who uses a John Muir pickup line? I may look like John Muir, but I’m more of an Aldo Leopold and Gifford Pinchot kinda guy. Hah. Boom relevant historical reference!

On a better note, I saw my FIRST ADT signage since starting the trail! Hooray for clarity!


I settled in on a grassy patch off of Bear Creek Trail near the Briones Reservoir, and pulled back some bark on a fallen tree to discover a fence lizard. Oh the little pleasures in life.

On Thursday 3/28 I found a pretty cool salamander walking the trail with me and decided to put him into my most recent video. I walked along the Briones to Mt. Diablo trail and found myself in Walnut Creek at a pub/restaurant called “The Greenery.” I met a kind man named Paul and he ended up treating me to some beverages and a meal. It was great fun listening to the Karaoke that happened that night. You would be amazed at how ridiculous it is when three grown men wield guitar hero instruments and play for an HOUR (lick for lick)(trading solos). I could hardly contain myself. Fun times.

On Friday 3/29 I was dropped off by Andy (Paul’s friend) and I walked down to a wonderful establishment called the “Sports Basement.” I bought a fantastic white long-sleeve UV shirt to protect me from being scorched every day, but before I could check out, I was pleasantly bombarded with questions and a quick photo session by the (very cute) staff! I felt like a celebrity and was given a goodie bag for the road! Certainly a great way to start my day.


I also came across a 4+ foot diamondback rattlesnake and enjoyed getting a little footage of that bad boy. Fortunately for him, I was still eating snacks from the Sports Basement. He was probably living in snake heaven though because I think I saw about 500 ground squirrels in the short time that I was walking though the area.

I ended up landing at a picnic pavilion on the side of Mt. Diablo. I am pretty sure I was not supposed to be camping there, but eh, what do you do? I nestled into the back of the one sided pavilion and hid my tent behind two picnic tables. Expecting it to happen, my fears came true and here comes a ranger rolling up shortly after dark. It was a pretty big picnic area and I just stayed tucked back and low. It finally got to the point where he was driving around the back side of the pavilion (the one-closed side) and all of a sudden I hear him hit the brakes and I hear gravel flying. DANGIT. “He’s caught me…”

NOPE! That crazy man was just driving to dang fast for the curve and went off the shoulder! He slammed on his brakes trying to save his bone-head move and ended up smashing his front bumper dead on into a 3 foot wooden post! HAH Can you believe it!? So here I am sitting here (literally 30 feet from this guy) and he gets out of his truck, pulls on his bumper a few times, pats down the wooden post, walks around his truck twice and, to my relief, gets in his truck and drives off! Talk about a close one! He could have done that anywhere in the whole area, but I got a paranoid front row seat!


Once the crazy driver was gone, I laid down and fell asleep to coyotes sniffing my head to sleep. (Not quite she same as sheep jumping over fences).

On Saturday 3/30 I climbed to the summit of Mt. Diablo and enjoyed a great view. If you happen to go to Mt. Diablo, please put my name in the hat to re-make the “interpretive video” that they show at the summit. It is in serious need of updating.

I descended off of Mt. Diablo and decided I didn’t like following the rules and apparently made every effort possible to walk an extra half-mile at every intersection that I was supposed to take. The joys of navigating Westbound directions on an Eastbound hike. I learned that the large blue bird that I have been seeing is the Steller’sJay. A delightful bird to watch.


I walked into the town of Clayton and ate a double patty hamburger at Ed’s Mudville Grill. My night ended well with the management giving me the meal for free and with my neighbors at the table (Alfredo and Maureen) putting me in a Days Inn for the night! It was a great blessing and I am very grateful for their kindness. I wish I could have posted a blog then, but I admit that I showered and fell asleep on that wonderfully comfortable bed!

On Sunday 3/31 I attempted to make an Easter service at a local church, but was unable to find a ride. I wish I could have been back in Georgia playing the drums! Oh do I miss it already!

I walked through the Black Diamond Preserve and through Contra Loma Regional Park. I dipped my feet into the reservoir and saw an American White Pelican gliding above the water. It was refreshing in many ways. I decided I didn’t want to make my life easy and took a left out of the reservoir and walked an extra 4 miles round trip instead of heading to the right. Eh, 4 miles schmore miles. I made it all the way to the Safeway and got some extra food supplies and tried to find someone who would offer their yard to me. Unfortunately, I ended up opting for safety and getting a ride back to Contra Loma Regional Park to camp for the night. (My ride told me that one of their friends had been shot in a nearby park that I had suggested that I would sleep in…) Come to think of it, I actually DID see bullet holes in a metal building on my detour earlier in the day.

Monday 4/1 I was fortunate to have to walk the same 3.5 mile stretch to the Safeway again (note sarcasm). (I do believe it is some type of evil when you have to re-trod an area where you have already passed). But, it was not quite long enough to hitchhike, but long enough to be annoying.

After another 1.8 mile bridge walk and cars flying 70+ mph past me, I ended up walking roads all day and walked along several levee roads. At one point it looked like there was a giant boat driving on land (you can see this strange phenomenon in my recent video).


I ended up sleeping next to a bridge on (what appeared to me to be) a very ironically sized concrete camping pad at the base of one of the bridges. I slept for about 11 hours that night. Blisters, sun and a 60 pound pack will take it out of you.


On Tuesday 4/2 I walked about 18 miles and passed though a lot of farmland. I came across the lowest spot on the ADT at -20 below sea level. I made it into Walnut Grove by dark and was picked up by my friend Janelle Poon (formerly Hart, RGNS ’01).

On Wednesday 4/3, I was fortunate enough to be able to run for a solid day and traveled about 25.3 miles. I thoroughly enjoyed not having the weight on my shoulders and my feet enjoyed only being abused by my body weight. I came across several delicious orange trees during my run and wish that there would be an endless supply all along my route across the U.S. I finished my day at Vic’s Supermarket in Sacramento, CA.


I am currently headed out the door to begin the next leg of the trip! I hope to have an interactive map on the “route” tab on my website so that everyone can see exactly where I will be traveling. Please check back in periodically and share with your friends!

You can also see where my route will take me through Nevada via the link below.

God Bless,